Dating sites in knoxville tennessee Sexy chat without sining in
In 1864 Owen Soloman, acting under the order of Military Governor Andrew Johnson, organized a new county court loyal to the Union.
Following the war, farmers in the county resumed their lives, adding apples and peaches, beef cattle and milk cows to the production of grains.
In antebellum times, commerce was linked to riverboats at landings such as Cottonport, Pinhook, and Breedenton.
Several ferries were also established: the Blythe, Washington, and Free ferries on the Tennessee, and the Russell and Kincannon ferries on the Hiwassee.
The lakes brought tourist use for fishing, hunting, boating, and photography.
County schools consolidated in 1997 into two elementary, one middle, and one high school.
The lower Hiwassee River crosses through the southern portion of the county, where it enters the Tennessee.
The county contains fertile bottom land and ample timber, as well as a vein of iron ore.
Although Meigs County contained 814 freedmen in 1870, the African American population found little opportunity; their numbers fell after the Civil War to less than 2 percent by 1990.
As late as 1940 Meigs County had only one industrial plant, the Decatur Hosiery Mills, established in the late 1930s.